Thanks to the increasing dependence on technology, routers have become an inseparable part of everybody’s lives. A router is a device that helps people connect to the internet. There is a unique number called the IP address that helps to identify routers. Anybody who wants to connect to the internet should first connect their device to the router and set it up. As not all internet users are tech-savvy, some may find it difficult to set up their router. Here is a guide to help users.
192.168.1.1 – Login guide
192.168.1.1 is a private IP address that is assigned to routers. Logging in to the address helps network administrators configure the router. One must follow the steps given below to log in.
- Connect the device to the internet.
- Next, open any web browser on the device.
- The user will find an address bar. The address bar is the space where the website URL appears. Type the IP address in the bar. There are two ways to do this – either type https://192.168.1.1 or the IP address alone.
- It should open a login page with space to enter the username and password.
- Users who have not changed the login credentials can enter the default username and password. If the user has changed it, then they must enter the new details.
- If the entered details are valid, the admin panel of the router opens. This space offers many options to configure the router.
192.168.1.1 Wrong username/password
Humans are not machines and tend to forget details. Thus, it is normal for users to forget or enter the wrong username and password. Here are some solutions to users with the issue.
- If the user has never changed the username and password, they can check the default credential at the back of the router or in the manual.
- If they have set a new username and password, then a factory reset must be performed.
- Pressing the reset button at the back of the router for 10-15 seconds will reset the login details to default. Now, they can log in using default credentials and change the username/password after logging in.
Some users can log in on the first try itself. But some others may not be able to do the same. It is quite normal to encounter issues during Login and setup. Here is a troubleshooting guide for those who are unable to do it on the first try.
- Check whether the correct IP address is entered. Unless there is an exact match, the user cannot access the login page.
- The next mistake that users make is entering the wrong credentials. Double-check each character of the username and password before hitting enter.
- Some users have a tough time finding their IP address. Users with different operating systems can look up their IP addresses using the following steps.
For windows user
- Go to start run. Type cmd to open the command prompt.
- Once the command prompt opens, type the following commands.
- ipconfig | findstr/i “Gateway”
- The command should give a result similar to – C:\Documents and Settings\administrator> ipconfig | findstr/i “Gateway” Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
- The last part contains the IP. In this case, it is 192.168.1.1
For Unix and Linux users
- If the terminal is found on the Desktop, open it. If not, use the search bar to find it.
- Select Applications System tools and then choose Terminal.
- Type the commands given below in the terminal.
- ip course | grep default
- The command should give the following result – temo$ ip course | grep default using 192.168.1.1 dev eth0 proto static
- As it is evident from the result, 192.168.1.1 is the IP address for the device.
For Macintosh OS users
- Open the terminal
- Go to Finder > Applications. Select Utilities to find the terminal.
- After the terminal opens, use the command given below.
- netstat – nr | grep default
- The command displays the result – tmeo$ netstat – nr | grep default default 192.168.1.1 UGSc 50 46 en1
- Thus the default IP address of the router is 192.168.1.1
As technology surges ahead, internet users must keep up with it. Knowing how to set up the router and troubleshoot in case of errors is valuable technical know-how.